Advertising Analysis



I decided to look at the Criterion Collection and the new streaming service FilmStruck, more specifically, I decided to look at their advertising. Or lack thereof, in my opinion. The Criterion Collection is a company that specializes in releasing international, obscure, cult classic, and significant films that embody the idea of the filmmaking art form. The company also tends to restore these films, presenting them at their highest quality possible to achieve the perfect image.


FilmStruck is a video streaming service that began in early 2017. FilmStruck began as a collaboration between TCM (Turner Classic Movies) and The Criterion Collection. Previously, Criterion Collection had an exclusive deal with Hulu to stream Criterion Collection properties. After the deal expired, Criterion began FilmStruck with Turner, as I stated before.


When the service was announced, I was extremely excited. As a film buff, I knew that I would probably be on board from day one. However, that was not the case. FilmStruck was not supported by any streaming device that I own, apart from my laptop. FilmStuck and the Criterion Channel promised support would come to the PlayStation 4 by the end of 2017, which also did not happen. I had to wait until I could afford a Roku device before I could subscribe to the service. From day one, FilmStruck has done very little to advertise their service, save from the occasional commercial on Turner Classic Movies. I feel that FilmStruck should advertise on all the movie channels that they can afford to. Or even the nostalgia channels such as the Time Machine Channel or El Rey Network. FilmStruck has a very lavish and professional website, obviously they have money to spend, so why not spend a little more on advertising?



It also perplexes me that a streaming service with the backing of both Turner Entertainment and The Criterion Collection would be able to afford a more modest advertising budget. FilmStruck has a heavy presence on Twitter and responds and retweets often. The service even has over thirty-three thousand followers.

 On YouTube however, FilmStruck only has about twelve hundred subscribers, but the company posts videos daily and has over two hundred videos that are miniature introductions, video essays, and general film fun with various guests talking about their favorite movie.

In short, I’m a huge fan of both the Criterion Collection and FilmStruck. Since I recently began subscribing to the service, I have loved watching the classic and the international movies. I don’t think the services lack of advertising will hurt the company. It seems to be doing good and holding strong. I just hope that it can stay that way. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Surveillance and Law Enforcement

Classmate Blog Critique

Programming Trends